DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN SCIENCE, ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
The Nazarbayev University School of Engineering (SEng) aims to be the leading engineering school in Kazakhstan and Central Asia. The SEng's goal is to prepare its graduates to meet the growing demand for professional practitioners in the fields of chemical & materials, mechanical & aerospace, civil & environmental and electronic & computer engineering. SEng is the largest school by number of Nazarbayev University students enrolled. School of Engineering (SEng) and the School of Science and Technology (SST) at Nazarbayev University have launched the PhD program in Science, Engineering and Technology.
Every applicant to the PhD program is required to submit on-line an application package in English (or notarized English translation) and send its hard copy to the following address:
Online registration is now open. Deadline is April 1, 2019.
Deadline for providing IELTS/TOEFL/GRE certificates is April 15, 2019.
Applicants applying to the Program are expected to have:
1. An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent)
2. A Master’s degree or equivalent
During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
3. A competitive CGPA in applicant’s Master’s (or equivalent) degree.
4. High level of English proficiency
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the program is:
1) Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
2) Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
- an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
5. Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE test (recommended);
6. High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a statement of purpose;
7. Relevant research interest and knowledge of research subject as demonstrated in a written research proposal;
9. Two letters of recommendation.
Application package checklist:
1. Complete Application form;
2. National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants);
3. Official document confirming name change (if applicable);
4. Degree diplomas (Bachelor’s and Master’s or equivalents) with transcripts;
During the application period final year students may upload official current transcript for consideration.
5. IELTS or TOEFL certificate valid as of date of online documents submission;
6. Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL).
Applicants should provide a detailed certificate/reference from the university indicating the number and list of subjects completed in English.
7. GRE certificate valid as of date of online documents submission (recommended);
8. Statement of purpose outlining the applicant’s prior educational career, statement of his/her interest in the Program, his/her long-term career goals, and how the program would help him/her to achieve these goals (500 words);
9. Two confidential letters of recommendation written within the last two years (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy after receiving an email request);
10. Resume (1 page);
11. Research proposal outlining the research topic the applicant would like to pursue in the Program;
12. Consent for Applicant’s personal data processing (according to the template in applicant’s personal account).
All required documents indicated above (excluding letters of recommendation) must be uploaded by candidates to the Personal account before the indicated deadline.
All submitted documents shall be in English or with notarized English translation.
Submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the Program.
Applicants recommended for admission must provide hard copies of all documents as requested by the Admissions Department within established period of time.
Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign education institutions must request their official transcripts to be sent directly to the University: 010000, Astana, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., 53, Nazarbayev University, Admissions Department.
Standardized test reports shall be sent by the official test administrator directly to the University.
Nazarbayev University Institutional Codes:
• GRE – 6496
• TOEFL – 6762
To learn more about the School of Engineering and its programs please visit the web-site: https://seng.nu.edu.kz/admissions/masters/
- every applicant must register on the official University website http://admissions.nu.edu.kz and complete an online application form in English;
- resume in English. It should not exceed one A4 page and should be incorporated into the on-line application form;
- a cover letter explaining the motivation to enroll on the PhD program, the choice of the engineering discipline and the tentative choice of the research subject. The choice of the discipline should be the same as indicated in the on-line application form. The cover letter should not exceed one A4 page;
- two confidential letters of reference in English (or with English translation) as indicated in the form available on the applicant’s personal page should be sent to email@example.com. One of the two recommendations must be written by a current or previous employer. The second referee may be chosen at the applicant’s discretion. Reference letters should be sent from the official e-mail address indicated in the application form and/or hard copies (signed and stamped/on an official letterhead) should be provided in a sealed envelope to Graduate Admissions Department;
- copy (-ies) of Master’s degree diploma(s) and/or its equivalent with transcript(s) with notarized English translation.
*Applicants who obtained Master’s degree diploma and/or its equivalent with transcript(s) from foreign educational institutions must request hard copies of their official transcript(s) to be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Department;
- for applicants whose native language is not English as determined by the Admissions Committee, English language proficiency test reports (IELTS or TOEFL or CPE) valid as of the date of submission of application package. The PhD program has a mandatory level of English language proficiency equal to an IELTS overall grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each of the subtests or a TOEFL score of 232 for Computer-Based Test (CBT), 575 for Paper-Based Test (PBT) and 90 for Internet-Based Test (IBT) or a CPE overall score of 45 and pass in all components;
*Applicants, who obtained university level degree in educational institutions with English as the language of instruction, are exempt from the provision of the English language proficiency test reports;
- applicants may submit a copy of GRE (general test) scores valid for the application period. However submission of the GRE certificate is not obligatory;
- copy of the applicant’s identity card or passport (with notarized English translation).