Outstanding support for postgraduate and early career researchers
Nazarbayev University stimulates, supports and sustains a vibrant research and intellectual environment across and between disciplines for postgraduate and early career researchers. Focusing on investment and development in training, resources and facilities, the PhD Program in Science, Engineering and Technology provides an outstanding quality experience for those in the early stages of their research careers.
The PhD program will typically be conducted over 48 months full time. Each student will develop their personal and professional skills and their PhD program as part of the core curriculum courses. The program includes the possibility of taught courses (during the first three years) to support the development of postgraduate research students, to extend and test their knowledge in their research discipline. Each student will be required to formally defend their PhD proposal at the end of their first year. The program also progresses into a 36 month period dedicated to their research topic, from which a demonstrable original contribution to the knowledge pool will be assessed through a viva voce. In total, the student would be expected to spend the first 42 months conducting research and the remaining 6 months to finalize the thesis before defending their research. Continuation into a 5th year is possible upon approval and may come with specific requisites and stipulations. The program includes the possibility of a mobility period in a host university abroad in order to provide the students with international experience. The research visit must be fully justified and approved by the PhD Program Committee managing the PhD Program.
The typical curriculum for the PhD program is shown in the tables below:
3. Annex Templates
3.1. Annex 1_RESEARCH PROPOSAL FORM
3.2. Annex 2_PHD COURSES SELECTION FORM
3.3. Annex 3_PHD STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT
3.4. Annex 4_RELIMINARY PHD RESEARCH PLAN FORM
3.5. Annex 5_PHD RESEARCH & SUPERVISORY COMMITTEE FORM
3.6.1. Annex 6 PHD RESEARCH PLAN ORAL DEFENSE – Section 1_SUPEVISORY COMMITTEE SECTION
3.6.2. Annex 6 PHD RESEARCH PLAN ORAL DEFENCE – Section 2_PROGRESS REVIEW COMMITTEE SECTION
3.7. Annex 7_PHD SUPERVISORY COMMITTEE CHANGES FORM
3.8. Annex 8_ REVISED PHD RESEARCH PLAN FORM AFTER VIVA
3.9.1. Annex 9_PHD PROGRESS REVIEW COMMITTEE FORM – Section 1_STUDENT SECTION
3.9.2. Annex 9_PHD PROGRESS REVIEW COMMITTEE FORM – Section 2_SUPERVISORY COMMITTEE SECTION
3.9.3. Annex 9_PHD PROGRESS REVIEW COMMITTEE FORM – Section 3_PROGRESS REVIEW COMMITTEE SECTION
3.10. Annex 10_PHD THESIS OUTLINE FORM
3.11. Annex 11_PHD THESIS SUBMISSION FORM
3.12. Annex 12_MINOR & MAJOR AMENDMENT CHANGES FORM
3.13. Annex_Postgraduate Research Oral_Exam_Joint_Form_
3.14. Annex_Postgraduate Research Exam_Individual_Form_
3.15. Annex_Postgraduate Research Exam_Chair_Form_
On successful completion of the program, the PhD student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the contemporary research literature in their field of study;
- Critically evaluate all major types of research in their field of study;
- Identify appropriate research topics in their field of study, and generate hypotheses about such topics;
- Plan, conduct, analyse and communicate research in writing and verbally, independently;
- Make an original contribution to the knowledge in their area of specialization;
- Explain their research and research findings to others both orally and in written form;
- Have a deep understanding of how their research relates to the broader field of knowledge in their discipline;
- Have an understanding of how to disseminate their research findings and to develop their academic/scholarly career through presentations, publications, and national and international networking;
- Teach in their discipline at university level in English.
NU Graduates shall:
- Possess an in-depth and sophisticated understanding of their domain of study.
- Be intellectually agile, curious, creative and open-minded.
- Be thoughtful decision makers who know how to involve others.
- Be entrepreneurial, self-propelling and able to create new opportunities.
- Be fluent and nuanced communicators across languages and cultures.
- Be cultured and tolerant citizens of the world.
- Demonstrate high personal integrity.
- Be prepared to take a leading role in the development of their country.