The Master of Science in Chemical and Materials Engineering (MSc-ChME) degree program is a specialized degree program offered by the School of Engineering (SEng) at Nazarbayev University (NU). Students are required to complete 120 ECTS credits, in 4 semesters, which satisfies the requirements stipulated by the Bologna Process and the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) for Master’s Degrees. The program is research oriented and it is designed to provide the skills required to solve advanced technical problems in chemical and materials engineering through a combination of Thesis Research and advanced coursework.
All students in the MSc-ChME program are required to complete five advanced core courses (30 ECTS) in key fundamental chemical and materials engineering areas such as Applied Mathematics, Transport Phenomena, Materials Processing, Materials Characterization and Chemical Reaction Engineering. Three additional core courses, Research Methods and Ethics, Research Seminar and Technical Communication (18 ECTS), will be offered to provide students with the general knowledge that is necessary for them to design or present their research in an effective way. Students will also be able to select four elective courses (24 ECTS), from a list of possible options, based on their research interests. Students will be enrolled in MSc Thesis I (24 ECTS) and MSc Thesis II (24 ECTS) courses in the third and fourth semesters to carry out an independent research. A wide variety of research topics will be offered by the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering in areas as diverse as energy generation, conversion and storage; environmental protection, remediation and resource efficiency; process design and simulation; composite functional materials etc. Through its research-intensive nature, the program aims at providing its graduates with the skills required for innovative engineering, to translate research into production, and to foster the future technological development in the country and abroad.
Aims and Objectives
The mission of the School of Engineering at Nazarbayev University is to contribute to the development of Kazakhstan in terms of:
- Educating students with engineering expertise to lead organizations and provide innovative solutions for complex technical issues of enterprises.
- Conducting innovative and pioneering basics of applied research that evolve the body of knowledge in Engineering through interdisciplinary collaboration with other schools and research centers at Nazarbayev University and leading universities worldwide.
- Advancing the professional development in engineering through our service to the professional community and providing lifelong learning opportunities for practitioners.
The MSc-ChME program aims to reflect the mission of the School of Engineering and accomplishes this by pursuing the following objectives:
- Educate graduate students with the advanced knowledge and skills required to solve research oriented technical problems in chemical and materials engineering;
- Provide graduate students with an advanced grasp of theories and the insight required for successful professional careers and/or in order to pursue further higher education and lifelong learning;
- Develop the ability to contribute towards the improvement of the nation’s technological level and to provide the necessary base for future technological developments in the country;
- Promote a sense of leadership with emphasis on scholarship and professional ethics.
NU graduates from the MSc-ChME program shall:
- Possess an in-depth and sophisticated understanding of their domain of study;
- Be intellectually agile, curious, creative and open-minded;
- Be thoughtful decision makers who know how to involve others;
- Be entrepreneurial, self-propelling and able to create new opportunities;
- Be fluent and nuanced communicators across languages and cultures;
- Be cultured and tolerant citizens of the world while being good citizens of their respective countries;
- Possess high personal integrity;
- Be prepared to take a leading role in the development of their country.
The MSc-ChME program delivers the graduate attributes by providing the students opportunities to
- be involved in individual and group work, team building exercises for developing decision making skills,
- be engaged with design tasks for developing creativity, presenting project reports to polish their communication skills and through group discussions among group members and faculty,
- develop personal integrity and cultural tolerance.
These attributes are addressed by the learning outcomes that follow.
Program Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the program, our graduates will be able to:
- Apply chemical and materials engineering concepts at an advanced level;
- Plan and conduct research in their field of study using advanced research skills and appropriate methodology;
- Critically appraise their own research work and existing scientific literature;
- Communicate effectively about their research work to the general public as well as to experts;
- Collaborate in teams as well as assume leadership role when needed.