+7 (7172) 706423 , +7 (7172) 694536 (Program related questions)
+7 (7172) 70 65 55
The Master of Science in Chemical and Materials Engineering (MSc-ChME) degree program is a specialized degree program offered by the School of Engineering and Digital Sciences (SEDS) at Nazarbayev University (NU). Students are required to complete 120 ECTS credits, in 4 semesters, which satisfies the requirements stipulated by the Bologna Process and the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) for Master’s Degrees. The program is research oriented and it is designed to provide the skills required to solve advanced technical problems in chemical and materials engineering through a combination of Thesis Research and advanced coursework.
All students in the MSc-ChME program are required to complete five advanced core courses (30 ECTS) in key fundamental chemical and materials engineering areas such as Applied Mathematics, Transport Phenomena, Materials Processing, Materials Characterization and Chemical Reaction Engineering. Three additional core courses, Research Methods and Ethics, Research Seminar and Technical Communication (18 ECTS), will be offered to provide students with the general knowledge that is necessary for them to design or present their research in an effective way. Students will also be able to select four elective courses (24 ECTS), from a list of possible options, based on their research interests. Students will be enrolled in MSc Thesis I (24 ECTS) and MSc Thesis II (24 ECTS) courses in the third and fourth semesters to carry out an independent research. A wide variety of research topics will be offered by the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering in areas as diverse as energy generation, conversion and storage; environmental protection, remediation and resource efficiency; process design and simulation; composite functional materials etc. Through its research-intensive nature, the program aims at providing its graduates with the skills required for innovative engineering, to translate research into production, and to foster the future technological development in the country and abroad.
Online registration is now open. Deadline is April 1, 2019.
Deadline for providing IELTS/TOEFL/GRE certificates is April 15, 2019.
Applicants applying to the program are expected to have:
1. An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent)
During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
2. A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.0 (or equivalent);
3. High level of English proficiency
The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the program is:
1) Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
2) The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test report for conditional admission (NUZYP) is an overall IELTS test score of 5.5, with no more than one sub-score of 5.0, or the equivalent TOEFL scores as posted on the ETS website;
3) Applicants, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
- an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
4. Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE test (optional). Although an official GRE score is not an essential requirement, an applicant can enhance her/his application with a competitive GRE score;
5. High motivation and strong interest in the program as outlined in a statement of purpose;
6. Curriculum vitae;
7. Two letters of recommendation.
Application package checklist:
1. Complete Application form;
2. National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants);
3. Official document confirming name change (if applicable);
4. Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree diploma with transcript;
During the application period final year students may upload official current transcript for consideration.
5. IELTS or TOEFL certificate valid as of date of online documents submission;
6. Document confirming English as the language of instruction (only for applicants who earned their degree in a program which was taught in English and request an exemption from submitting IELTS or TOEFL).
Applicants should provide a detailed certificate/reference from the university indicating the number and list of subjects completed in English.
7. Curriculum vitae (up to 2 pages);
8. GRE certificate valid as of date of online documents submission (if applicable);
9. Statement of purpose (up to 1 page);
10. Two confidential letters of recommendation (at least one academic reference) written within the last 12 months (to be provided by referees electronically or in hard copy after receiving an email request);
11. Consent for Applicant’s personal data processing (according to the template in applicant’s personal account).
All required documents indicated above (excluding letters of recommendation) must be uploaded by candidates to the Personal account before the indicated deadline.
All submitted documents shall be in English or with notarized English translation.
Submission of a complete application package does not guarantee admission to the Program.
Applicants recommended for admission must provide hard copies of all documents as requested by the Admissions Department within established period of time.
Applicants who obtained their degree diplomas/certificates from foreign education institutions must request their official transcripts to be sent directly to the University: 010000, Astana, Kabanbay Batyr Ave., 53, Nazarbayev University, Admissions Department.
Standardized test reports shall be sent by the official test administrator directly to the University.
Nazarbayev University Institutional Codes:
• GRE - 6496
• TOEFL – 6762
To learn more about the School of Engineering and its programs please visit the web-site: https://seng.nu.edu.kz/admissions/masters/
Aims and Objectives
The mission of the School of Engineering at Nazarbayev University is to contribute to the development of Kazakhstan in terms of:
- Educating students with engineering expertise to lead organizations and provide innovative solutions for complex technical issues of enterprises.
- Conducting innovative and pioneering basics of applied research that evolve the body of knowledge in Engineering through interdisciplinary collaboration with other schools and research centers at Nazarbayev University and leading universities worldwide.
- Advancing the professional development in engineering through our service to the professional community and providing lifelong learning opportunities for practitioners.
The MSc-ChME program aims to reflect the mission of the School of Engineering and accomplishes this by pursuing the following objectives:
- Educate graduate students with the advanced knowledge and skills required to solve research oriented technical problems in chemical and materials engineering;
- Provide graduate students with an advanced grasp of theories and the insight required for successful professional careers and/or in order to pursue further higher education and lifelong learning;
- Develop the ability to contribute towards the improvement of the nation’s technological level and to provide the necessary base for future technological developments in the country;
- Promote a sense of leadership with emphasis on scholarship and professional ethics.
NU graduates from the MSc-ChME program shall:
- Possess an in-depth and sophisticated understanding of their domain of study;
- Be intellectually agile, curious, creative and open-minded;
- Be thoughtful decision makers who know how to involve others;
- Be entrepreneurial, self-propelling and able to create new opportunities;
- Be fluent and nuanced communicators across languages and cultures;
- Be cultured and tolerant citizens of the world while being good citizens of their respective countries;
- Possess high personal integrity;
- Be prepared to take a leading role in the development of their country.
The MSc-ChME program delivers the graduate attributes by providing the students opportunities to
- be involved in individual and group work, team building exercises for developing decision making skills,
- be engaged with design tasks for developing creativity, presenting project reports to polish their communication skills and through group discussions among group members and faculty,
- develop personal integrity and cultural tolerance.
These attributes are addressed by the learning outcomes that follow.
Program Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the program, our graduates will be able to:
- Apply chemical and materials engineering concepts at an advanced level;
- Plan and conduct research in their field of study using advanced research skills and appropriate methodology;
- Critically appraise their own research work and existing scientific literature;
- Communicate effectively about their research work to the general public as well as to experts;
- Collaborate in teams as well as assume leadership role when needed.