The Master of Science in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MSc-MAE) degree program is a specialized degree program offered by School of Engineering (SEng) at Nazarbayev University (NU). Students are required to complete 120 ECTS credits, in 4 semesters, which satisfies requirements stipulated by the Bologna Process and the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) for Master’s Degrees. The program is focusing on research and has been designed to provide advanced skills and a detailed knowledge base at the graduate level for individuals working in academia, industry, or research settings in Kazakhstan or throughout the world.
The MSc-MAE provides a comprehensive technologic and scientific preparation for engineers in 3 (three) key areas of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering:
(a) Applied Mechanics;
(b) Energy and Thermofluids; and
(c) Engineering Design, Materials and Manufacturing,
in perfect alignment with today´s technological challenges. A set of mandatory core courses guarantees competence in advanced mathematics, the 3 (three) key areas of the program, classic and novel research methods and effective oral and written communication in the science and technology domain.
By delivering an MSc at an international standard level, we are offering our master’s students future opportunities in terms of PhD and positions in research centers, locally or abroad
Aims and Objectives
The mission of the School of Engineering at Nazarbayev University is to contribute to the development of Kazakhstan in terms of:
- Educating students with engineering expertise to lead organizations and provide innovative solutions for complex technical issues of enterprises.
- Conducting innovative and pioneering basics of applied research that evolve the body of knowledge in Engineering through interdisciplinary collaboration with other schools and research centers at Nazarbayev University and leading universities worldwide.
- Advancing the professional development in engineering through our service to the professional community and providing lifelong learning opportunities for practitioners.
The M.Sc. (MAE) program aims to reflect the mission of the School of Engineering and accomplishes this by pursuing the following objectives:
- To enable mechanical and aerospace engineers to make critical decisions based on uncertain and complex data, so that they can lead multidisciplinary teams within a modern organization;
- To train mechanical and aerospace graduates in scientific research, so that they can effectively organize and manage engineering-research projects at mid-managerial level in a modern industrial environment;
- To prepare the engineers for their professional practice with strictest and highest ethical standards, taking into consideration economic, environmental, safety and social responsibility; and
- To support the economic development of Kazakhstan by empowering the new generation of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineers who can facilitate the creation of innovative and highly technological goods and services.
The MSc-MAE program immerses the student within a scientific and technological ecosystem to favor their professional growth according to NU Graduate Attributes, which are very well aligned with the vision and mission of NU. These attributes are listed as:
1)Possess an in-depth and sophisticated understanding of their domain of study;
2)Be intellectually agile, curious, creative, and open-minded;
3)Be thoughtful decision makers who know how to involve others;
4)Be entrepreneurial, self-propelling and able to create new opportunities;
5)Be fluent and nuanced communicators across languages and cultures;
6)Be cultured and tolerant citizens of the world;
7)Demonstrate high personal integrity;
8)Be prepared to take a leading role in the development of their country.
The MSc program delivers these attributes by providing the students opportunities to be involved in: (a) working on individual and group assignments; (b) team-building exercises for developing decision-making skills; (c) designing tasks for developing creativity; (d) delivering and attending project-research presentations to polish their communication skills; and (e) engaging on group discussions among students and faculty in order to develop personal integrity and cultural tolerance. The same attributes are also addressed by the program learning outcomes that follow.
Program Learning Outcomes:
On successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Investigate mechanical and aerospace engineering concepts at an advanced level;
- Critically analyze existing scientific literature and develop personal research skills;
- Conduct innovative research utilizing acquired skills and appropriate methodology;
- Communicate effectively about accomplished research work to the general public as well as to experts.
The nominal MSc program duration is two years, while the maximum allowable duration can be extended up to two and half years (excluding leave of absence and deferment of admission; see “ACADEMIC POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR GRADUATE PROGRAMS OF THE AUTONOMOUS ORGANIZATION OF EDUCATION ‘NAZARBAYEV UNIVERSITY’” for further details).